Monday, March 23, 2009

A Curt Meditation, Entirely Lacking in Schilling

So pitcher Curt Schilling has announced his retirement. To which the response would be, "He wasn't retired?"

I've always had mixed feelings about Schill. He was inspirational in 2004. The bloody sock game was one of the highlights of Red Sox history. And he said he was coming to end the World Series drought for the Sox and he did. Bravo, Mr. Man.

On the downside, right after the 2004 victory he went right out and started shilling for George W. Bush's election. (Not re-election, mind you. He lost the first time, as we seem to forget.) This is his prerogative, of course. I can't stand it when people say that Bruce Springsteen and the Dixie Chicks should just shut the hell up and sing. Schilling had every right to speak his mind. But it made me like him a lot less. Call me petty. That's politics.

Also, guess how much he made last year. "Wait a minute," I hear you saying. "He didn't pitch last year." Nope. But he banked $8 million for not pitching. And this was not the tail end of a multi-year contract. He signed a one-year deal, knowing full well that he may never actually suit up. Is this his fault? Hell, no. If you told me you'd give me $8 million for not pitching, I'd ask where to sign. But still, it rankles.

So hasta la vista, Curt. Thanks for the great stuff. We won't be calling though.

1 comment:

Kizz said...

You know, I felt the same way when he started doing the political thing. I felt bad about it because, as an athlete, I really liked him but then suddenly as a person I couldn't do it anymore. It sucked the wind out of my happy World Series dance.