Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dick Cheney: Dick

Our soon-to-be-ex-Vice President continues to insult us. He holds the American people in such utter contempt that it's infuriating to listen to him or to read his words. I, for one, am so goddamn sick of being insulted by this creep that I'd slap him in the face if I saw him and consider it an honor to serve jail time for doing so. (I'm sure the Iraqi journalist in my last post feels the same way.) He continues to justify criminal behavior and war crimes, and I don't exaggerate when I use those terms, and to suggest that anyone who calls him on it is just some sort of lunatic. I'll say it again: it's insulting. Painfully insulting.

Read this transcript of an interview with ABC's Jonathan Karl. He regrets nothing. Nothing. And when Karl suggests that some may take a less-than-charitable view of the tyrannical (yes, tyrannical) powers that Cheney has arrogated to himself and his administration, he says they "don't know what they're talking about".

Here's what he said in response to questions about the use of torture. Now keep in mind that Cheney actively supports waterboarding, which is defined as torture in U.S. law and in treaties to which we are a signatory.

"I think the results speak for themselves. And I think those who allege that we've been involved in torture, or that somehow we violated the Constitution or laws with the Terrorist Surveillance Program, simply don't know what they're talking about."

How can you get more insulting than that? If you want to be immediately whisked out of the Christmas spirit, assuming you were in it in the first place, go read the rest of the interview. Hate will fill your heart. He also absolves himself of the responsibility for creating the existing climate and pushing the policies of torture, rendition and absence of due process. He merely claims that he "supported" them. This says otherwise. Liar liar.

I am looking forward to the end of this administration. But I will not be satisfied just to see it end. Justice must be done. The rule of law looks both forward and backward. (It has to, as all crimes were committed in the past. Duh.) I will not be happy until this man and his felonious cronies are behind bars. They belong there. And I do know exactly what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

Kizz said...

Make sure you're not wearing your good shoes. But make sure the shoes you're wearing are heavy. May your aim be steady and true.